Play the Guitar: Lesson 6


   As I said in the previous part, today we will take some questions from the complaints department. Again.

   The Complaints department. Part II.


   1. But... but... I don't like your style!


   Well, yeah. There are thousands (if not millions) of people out there talking about guitars so... take your pick. But know this: none is as good as I am.

   2. But... but... You're moving too slow!


   Yeah, that too. If you're one of those geeks who like to study all the time, there is a great book I wholeheartedly recommend. It is called "Guitar for Dummies" (go figure!) and is written by Mark Phillips and Jon Chappell. It is the book I learned from and it has thought me all I know. Well, almost.

   3. But... but... My fingers hurt so much!


   Yeah. It will take some time until your fingers will get used to the strings. The tips of the fingers will get tougher and meaner. And stronger. And if you took my advice and installed some really soft strings, now it would be much less painful.

   4. But... but... My fingers are too big!


   Sure. Mine too! It may happen that you have really big hands (like mine) and your fingers have trouble fitting on and between the strings and the strings would buzz and do all kinds of strange noises. Relax, it is OK. As you keep at it, your fingers will adapt. Just as I said above, your fingertips will become tougher and thus fit a lot better on the strings.

   5.  But... but... I don't have time!


   Yes, the time problem. Contrary to what everybody says, you don't need more than 20 minutes a day to practice. That's it. 20 minutes a day to take out the guitar, tune it and then go through all the chords you know (which are not a lot, at this point) and do an exercise or two. Or even a song or two.

   6. But... but... I can do much more than 20 minutes!


   Maybe you can, but please do me a favor, will you? Take it slow. Don't try to do too much at once, because the risk of getting frustrated and abandoning the guitar altogether is much higher. Trust me, I know. Easy does it. Give your body and mind time to adjust and get accustomed to this new thing.

   6. But... but... That song is not simple at all!


   You mean... Dancing in the Dark? Yeah, well, it is not simple, but it isn't complicated, either. Besides, you have to set a goal for yourself. Something to strive towards. Something to give you the drive to practice and learn and persevere.

That's it for today. Next time we will do... something.

My Spanish Guitar

To be continued...

No comments: